Thursday 29 November 2012

My Grandparents


My Grandparents are –
Kathleen (nee Betts)
Collin Staniforth (when he got enlisted he dropped one 'L' from his name)

Daisy Maud (nee Morris)
Sidney John Brown


Kathleen was born on 18th June 1895 in Sileby, Leicestershire, England.  I don’t remember anything about her as I only just turned one when she died, I don’t know if I ever called her Grandma or Nana.
Kathleen died of Cancer on 7 July 1970.

Colin was born on 8th December 1891 in Sileby, Leicestershire, England. I don’t remember a lot about him, I had just turned six when he died on 26 March 1974. I do remember how he used to peel an apple from top to bottom without breaking the skin and also he won me a teddy and asked me what I was going to call him and I said Colin after you Grandpa.
Colin was in the Leicestershire Regiment in World War 1 he was awarded the British War Medal, Victory Medal and 1915 Star.
Colin and Kathleen got married in 1919 at St Mary Church, Sileby, Leicestershire, England.
 They  had 9 children.



Daisy Maud (nee Morris) was born in 1891  Foleshill, Coventry, Warwickshire, England. I never knew my Grandma Brown. She died in 1936 at Coventry, Warwickshire, England.

Sidney John was born 29 June 1889  Shotswell, Oxfordshire, England although by the time he got christened Shotswell was in Warwickshire (the border had been changed).Sidney was christened on 18 August 1889. I never knew my Granddad Brown. He died on 29 August 1971.
Sidney was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in World War 1 he was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.
Sidney John and Daisy Maud got married on 6 July 1912 at Coventry, Warwickshire, England.
They had 8 children.


Both Colin & Sidney John were awarded the Silver War Badge - 

Sidney John Brown was discharged from the Royal Warwickshire Regiment on 27.2.19, he enlisted on 21.3.13, cause of discharge - Wounds, Age 28, Sidney served overseas.

Colin Staniforth was discharged from Leicestershire Regiment on 13.6.18, he enlisted on 10.5.15, cause of discharge - Wounds, Age 27, Colin served overseas.

No comments:

Post a Comment